[SI-LIST] GMII over Board-to-Board Connector

  • From: "Paul Strachan" <Paul_Strachan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 11:35:29 -0800

Hi SI Group,

We are working on a module which requires a GMII interface to it's carrier
card. I know that the GMII interface is intended for IC to IC communication,
but I am wondering if anyone has successfully connected GMII over a
board-to-board connector? If so what type of connector was used and was there
any problems with crosstalk? Or was there any problem with the signal degrading
such that it was no longer compliant to the GMII receiver input potential
template?

We're nervous about the rise and fall times for the GMII clock, which are 0.7ns
to 1.0ns. This works out to a knee frequency of 700 to 500Mhz and for single
ended applications these frequencies are pushing the capabilities of many
common connector styles.

Any comments would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul Strachan