[SI-LIST] Re: GMII over Board-to-Board Connector

  • From: "Michael Khusid" <mkhusid@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Paul_Strachan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 14:59:50 -0500

Paul,

About a year or two ago, I was involved in a design where GMII interface
ran through a parallel board-to-board connect. GMII is a
source-synchronous signal, so the timing of the bus is fairly
straightforward as long as your connector pins have the same length.

For the crosstalk purposes -- well, you do need a connector which is
good enough for this purpose. We used the Teradyne/Molex HDM parallel
board-to-board connector. It is specified to 0.5ns to 1ns rise time
depending on the grounding pattern and we were quite comfortable as long
as the grounding was sufficiently conservative.

The connector had press-fit interface on the mainboard and the solder
interface on the PHY extension card.

Best regards,

Michael Khusid
Ansoft Corporation