[SI-LIST] Re: Fw: Problem with Ni plated transmission line

  • From: "Chris Schmolze" <schmolze@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <kuchta@xxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 13:17:16 -0600

Daniel,

Check the composition of your nickel plating bath. As Aubrey mentioned
the magnetic permeability of Ni can vary. If I recall properly, a
Japanese test socket manufacturer ( maybe Enplas or Yamaichi)had
disclosed in patents the relationship between the %P in electroless Ni
plating and skin depth of the rich P region and the effect of that
relationship to frequency. If you get the opportunity have your flex
supplier supply samples of identical microstips plated with both
2-5%(standard) and 20% phosphorus Ni. Make some S-parameter
measurements.  You should gain back your bandwidth with the 20%P-Ni and
still reap the corrosion resistance and wear benefits of the Ni.

Regards,
Chris Schmolze