[SI-LIST] Re: Fw: Problem with Ni plated transmission line

  • From: Matthew Herndon <mherndon@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 15:57:14 -0800

The discussion of permeability of nickel raises a question in my mind.
This may be a dumb question, but I bet others on the list are wondering
about it.

I thought the permeability of ferromagnetic materials was highly
frequency-dependent, and that they disappear at higher frequencies. I
seem to recall that for iron at least you don't see the effect above a
few MHz, and relative permeability approaches unity.

Does anyone know more about this than I do?

-matt
Matt Herndon
ECAD Group
Apple Computer

On Friday, March 14, 2003, at 01:44 PM, John Barnes wrote:

> Daniel,
> I am in the middle of writing an appendix for my book, Robust
> Electronic
> Design Reference, on important properties of conductors.  All of the
> handbooks I've read so far say that nickel has relative permeability
> (mu
> sub r) of 50 to 350, with 100 being typical.
>
>               John Barnes KS4GL, PE, NCE, ESDC Eng, SM IEEE
>               dBi Corporation
>               http://www.dbicorporation.com/

> List archives are viewable at:

List archives are viewable at: