[SI-LIST] Re: Floating Cable Shield

  • From: Ivor Bowden <ivorlist@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 11:45:19 -0700

Yes Mike, that is pretty much it exactly. The mfg link to this cable is:
http://www.vantecusa.com/product-accessory.html#
click on
Rounded Cable -> IDE
you can see an image. The cable I have is the clear one with the silver
braid. The images aren't that big, but you can get an idea.

I'm now thinking that maybe the braid is not intended for shielding
specifically, but rather as a physical support, or just for looks.

The question still remains, though, how would this configuration affect
SI and EMC - for better or worse?

When I specify cable shielding I always ensure that it is contiguous,
preferably enclosing the connectors at both ends. I would not specify
floating or single ended shielding. I wonder if there are cases, in
which such configurations could be useful?

thanks,

Ivor

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at: