[SI-LIST] Re: FW: AC Blocking capacitor relative positions andreferenceplanevoids

  • From: Scott McMorrow <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Chris Cheng <Chris.Cheng@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 19:17:14 -0500

Chris
you are absolutely correct.  That is why I said:

"This return loss problem is always more acute
for closely spaced "things" on low loss substrates, and will cause
insertion loss uncertainty along with high frequency ringing."

>>> http://www.simberian.com/AppNotes/AC_CouplingCapacitors_2008_04.pdf (slide
>>> 15 - the reflection in non-optimized case is about -20 dB that may be
>>>

>> hardly
>>

>>> noticeable on TDR). However, the larger footprint like 0603 on slide 16
>>>

>> with
>>

>>> the original reflection above -10 dB should be clearly visible on TDR. The
>>> reflection in this case will depend on the position of the caps in the
>>> channel. Again, the larger discontinuities like vias may obfuscate the
>>> effect. There is always some advantage in the optimization, but the
>>>

>> overall
>>

>>> effect may depend on a particular net.
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>> Yuriy Shlepnev
>>> www.simberian.com

Teraspeed® is the registered service mark of
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net

List archives are viewable at: