[SI-LIST] Re: FEXT reduction by very small spacings

  • From: Hermann Ruckerbauer <hermann.ruckerbauer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 22:01:16 +0200

Hi Steve,

thanks for the fast feedback ... it's sunday afternoon ... do you have
nothing better to do than reading the SI-List e-mails ?   ;-)

So far I have done only analysis in the time domain (just a step looking
on FEXT and NEXT). This was not a real project, and I just stumbled over
the issue preparing some training material so I didn't spend too much
time on investigation. I wanted to do some more checks, but when looking
to the paper I was quite sure to see the same effect.
The only check I made was some Q'n'D length variation (100/150/200mm) to
ensure not to have some length resonance. This did not change the
picture. If i can trust the simulator (and I do trust the ADS Multilayer
transmissionline model in this case) I think this effect is true. Maybe
someone can do a short check with another tool ?

I agree, that bot inductive and capacitive coupling will increase with
reduced spacing, but my understanding is, that they do change at a
different rate (maybe an effect of the sidewall capacitance getting more
important once close enough, while you have nearly no change for
inductive X-talk changing spacing from 100 to 300um ?). So far for me
the paper and the simulation result look somehow reasonable, but I'm not
sure how much effort I should spend here ...

regards

Hermann

EKH - EyeKnowHow
Hermann Ruckerbauer