[SI-LIST] FEXT reduction by very small spacings

  • From: Hermann Ruckerbauer <hermann.ruckerbauer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 19:40:45 +0200

Hello all,

for a training I wanted to show some simulation with FEXT and NEXT
comparison. So I did some simulation sweeps with different spacings.

On a normal Microstrip trace I saw, that going to wider spacing it took
a quite large spacing to reduce FEXT (as expected). But when reducing
the spacing below 100um the FEXT got smaller quite fast. Based on the
waveform my guess was, that the capacitive coupling got larger quite
fast and compensated the inductive coupling, which is normally causing
the neg. peak (for a rising edge) at the far end of the line. So far I
have not seen this effect in literature, but from Agilent support I got
a hint to an IEEE Paper which shows this behavior:

IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON ELECTROMAGNETIC COMPATIBILITY, VOL. 43, NO. 4,
NOVEMBER 2001
Far-End Crosstalk Reduction in Double-Layered Dielectric Interconnects
Talgat R. Gazizov, Member, IEEE

The author closes with the statement, that he hopes the paper can be
used to find a way how to utilize this effect. And that's my question
too. Has somebody tried to cancel out the FEXT by reduction of the spacing?

The biggest issue I see is the NEXT. It is getting quite large with this
small spacings, so even when your system is only reacting on FEXT,
because you have e. g. a parallel memory bus you need a good source
termination to ensure, that the reflected NEXT is not hitting the
receiver after it's reflected at the driver.
Additionally it might be necessary to exactly control the routing for
each trace seperatly. In simulation it is easy to "route" two signals
side by side with always the same distance, but for a real system this
will be a real problem, and it might be necessary to separately control
the routing for each from the 64/72 bits of the memory bus.

I guess it might be difficult to use this effect, but it should be
doable ... what is your opinion?

regards

Hermann

EKH - EyeKnowHow