[SI-LIST] FEXT reduction by very small spacings

  • From: "Eric Bogatin" <eric@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <hermann.ruckerbauer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 07:03:05 -0500

Hermann- before you jump to too radical conclusions about the impact of very
tight coupling on FEXT, you might want to think about another field solver
tool.

Agilent's ADS has a built in 2D boundary element field solver, in the MIL
structures. This is a super tool to use to sweep through geometry features
and explore the impact on performance. However, it assumes the currents are
in sheets parallel to the infinite return plane. It does include the skin
depth and frequency dependent inductance from current redistribution, but
the current density distribution is an approximation.

When the traces are closer than their width, I would question how good this
approximation is. You might want to re-spin this simulation using a tool
that calculates the current distribution in the cross section, like
Agilent's Momentum, EMPro (the 2D port solution that uses an FEM approach),
or one of the other tools like CST, HFSS or Ansoft's SI2D

When considering tight or loose coupling in diff pairs, if loss is
important, you might consider loose coupling, as you suggest, but if
interconnect density is important and loss is not, nothing beats tight
coupling. This and other diff pair design topics is covered in my upcoming
free webinar,

NMA-830 Stack up Design for Differential Pair Design, Sept 16, 2009 1 pm
Eastern time

Sign up on line @ www.beTheSignal.com <http://www.bethesignal.com/>

See you in cyberspace

--eric

Dr. Eric Bogatin, Signal Integrity Evangelist
Bogatin Enterprises
Setting the Standard for Signal Integrity Training

Next "No Myths Allowed" webinar:
"Stack-up Design for Differential Pairs"
Sept 16, 2009  1pm EDT

Next public classes: EPSI, ASID
Aug 11-14, 2009, Hillsboro, OR

 <http://www.bethesignal.com/> www.BeTheSignal.com
Blog:  <http://www.bethesignal.com/blog> www.beTheSignal.com/blog
26235 W 110th Terr
Olathe, KS  66061
e:  <mailto:eric@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> eric@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
v: 913-393-1305   cell: 913-424-4333   f: 913-393-0929

Msg: #2 in digest

Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 21:54:58 +0200

From: Hermann Ruckerbauer <hermann.ruckerbauer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Subject: [SI-LIST] Re: FEXT reduction by very small spacings

Hi Istvan,

thanks for the detailed information. Your paper is very interesting!

I'm still not sure if a design with 100um Spacing could not be as good

as a design with 300-400um spacing. Even with the manufacturing

tolerances the X-talk behavior might not get worse, and this would still

mean, that the space requirements are going down quite a bit. I guess in

the 90s manufacturing a 75 or 100um spacing was a bigger problem as it

is today, so it might be worth taking a new look to the effect ?!?

But now there are already 3 things that would need to be checked quite

carefully:

- NEXT

- Min AND Max. spacing for ALL lines

- Manufacturing tolerances

=3D=3D> Overall I agree, that this looks quite ugly and I'm not sure if a=

useful implementation is possible and worth the effort.

One more question comes into my mind: What does this effect do on

differential routing ?

Some years ago I would have routed a diff pair as tight coupled as

possible ... today I think loose coupling with a solid referencing is

better.

But I never considered, that this effect would be seen in the tight

coupled case.

But I guess here also the manufacturing tolerances make things

"unreliable", so a loose coupling is better, as this effect is not seen

there.

Regards

Hermann

EKH - EyeKnowHow