[SI-LIST] Re: Differential line Via - affecting common mode noise

  • From: Istvan Novak <istvan.novak@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "Lakshmi Narayanan Sowrirajan, ERS-HCLTech" <lakshminarayanans@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2011 09:00:00 -0400

Hi Lakshmi,

When you say 'less common mode noise', I assume you refer to time-domain
common mode voltage with a given data rate and data pattern excitation,
correct?

In a typical channel with a connector and multiple traces, chances are
that the mode conversion is frequency dependent.  The peaks and minima
of the mode conversion very well may depend on delays among
discontinuities as well, so when you change the length, or the
reflection, or the attenuation, it may shift the modal conversion curves
left or right and up/down. If you have not done so yet, it would be very
useful to compare the end-to-end S parameters for the two cases in the
frequency domain to see if they make sense to you.

Regards,

Istvan Novak
Oracle

List technical documents are available at: