[SI-LIST] Re: Differential line Via - affecting common mode noise

  • From: "Yuriy Shlepnev" <shlepnev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Lakshmi Narayanan Sowrirajan, ERS-HCLTech'" <lakshminarayanans@xxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2011 08:52:04 -0700

The common mode may be either artificially absorbed at the boundaries in the
electromagnetic analysis of vias or reflected by the vias.
You have to have sufficient number of stitching vias placed electrically
close to diff vias to localize the problem for the common mode. Otherwise
the results of analysis are not real (purely computational).
In case if your common mode is localized, vias may be larger discontinuity
for common mode then for differential one. Common mode is simply reflected
or does not go through the vias in that case.
See more on analysis of differential vias with common modes in app notes
#2007_07, #2009_05 and on mode conversion in app note #2009_01 at
http://www.simberian.com/AppNotes.php

Yuriy
www.simberian.com