[SI-LIST] Re: Designing PCB Stackups

  • From: V S <for_si2003@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: codymiller@xxxxxxxxxx, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Istvan Nagy <buenos@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 11:23:15 -0800 (PST)

I agree. However, how can the impedance stay same when the thickness was
changed from 50um to 75 um. Obviously, the material used for the dielctric had
substantially different value. But that is a great lot of difference.I do not
expect the PCB house to change the trace thick, although they can and they so
sometimes.

That being said, I always specify the fab drawing with nominal values of the
thickness of the material and and assumed value of the dielectric constant. I
then let the PCB manufacturer give their own values. If the difference is not
great I usually approve. A difference like 50 um to 75 um is unusual. I usually
do not see that much of difference. If it is, it needs a closure look.

Vikas Shukla

http://referencedesigner.com