[SI-LIST] Re: Designing PCB Stackups

  • From: "Bill Stube" <Bill.Stube@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 16:00:22 -0600

In my experience, each fabricator has sufficient variation in their
process that a different fabricator will give different plating
thicknesses, final trace widths, dielectric thicknesses, impedance, etc,
even if you specify the same material.  There are also lot to lot
material variations to consider.  If possible, it is nice to pick one
fabricator and stick with them through your prototypes, verification
testing, and production but this will not solve all of your problems.
If you plan to move to a "low cost" fabricator, do so as early in your
design process as practical.

While specifying the material helps you to limit your variables, I think
the best approach is to do the following.

1.) Design a stackup based on your design requirements and work with
multiple PCB fabricators to ensure you aren't designing yourself into a
corner.  You can also quote these vendors early on to make your
purchasing folks happy.
2.) Simulate your design or system across process corners which are
realistic for your design.  Fast/Slow model corners as well as high/low
impedance or relevant PCB parameters.
3.) As simulations require, force tighter requirements onto your PCB
layout, materials, or fabricator.
4.) Close the loop on your simulations by analyzing your boards when
they come back for the same parameters you simulated.

Working with multiple vendors or your target vendor early on as well as
thoroughly simulating your design will help to give you a functional
board as well as an acceptable manufacturing yield.  If you company is
willing to pay for it, you could request your vendor fabricates two or
three separate lots at your PCB corners.  This would give you a good
sample set for testing of your PCB corners.

Bill Stube
Hardware Engineer II - Digital Systems
Plexus Technology Group
http://www.plexus.com/