[SI-LIST] Re: Combining of multiple Power Supply Outputs

  • From: olaney@xxxxxxxx
  • To: chundis@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 23:14:15 -0700

No attachment, of course.  This reflector doesn't support it.

If your power supplies have remote sense leads, you can place them on the
far side of sharing diodes and they will regulate out the diode drop.
You can also regulate out small resistor drops as might be used to force
the load to be more equally shared.  In the extreme of ideal, zero drop
diodes and zero output impedance supplies, the supply with the higher
output voltage (even by a millivolt) will take all the load until it goes
into current limit, at which point the output will drop to the voltage of
the other supply, which will carry the rest of the load.  With real
components, things are not so binary, but it's still a matter of degree
and you still would prefer to have the supplies work equally.  If the
supplies aren't built to be paralleled (as some designs are), then diodes
and perhaps some deliberate resistance are one way to do it.  Of course,
if your supplies don't support remote sense either, then you might want
to rethink the fundamentals of your approach.

Yours is not a signal or power integrity problem as such, but this should
give you enough background to talk to your power supply vendor's apps
engineers.

Orin Laney

On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 11:12:03 +0530 chundi srikanth <chundis@xxxxxxxxx>
writes:
> Hi,
>
> Pls see the attached file.I have two Power supplies giving +28V
> outputs and
> i have to combine them for load sharing such a way that it will
> provide a
> low voltage drop from input to output. How can i do that?? Which
> solution is
> the best one using a MOSFET solution or a schottky diode solution or
> any
> powerpath controller solution??
>
> Thanks & Regards
> Srikanth