[SI-LIST] Re: Combining of multiple Power Supply Outputs

  • From: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: chundi srikanth <chundis@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 23:33:20 -0700

Load sharing supplies with low drop requires supplies specifically
designed with that capability in mind.

When you OR two voltage supplies that are not designed for current
sharing, what you have is effectively two batteries with very low DC
resistances feeding your load.  The lower the output resistance, the
less voltage error between the two is needed to force the higher output
supply to support all of the current until something stops it, usually
the current limiter.  Depending on the supply design it is even possible
for one supply to drive current back into the other and not the load.
If the supply folds back at current limit, you have a big problem.  If
it doesn't, it will still get much hotter than the other supply, and
regulation dynamics will suffer as well.

Steve.
chundi srikanth wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Pls see the attached file.I have two Power supplies giving +28V outputs and
> i have to combine them for load sharing such a way that it will provide a
> low voltage drop from input to output. How can i do that?? Which solution is
> the best one using a MOSFET solution or a schottky diode solution or any
> powerpath controller solution??
>
> Thanks & Regards
> Srikanth

> List technical documents are available at:
>                 http://www.si-list.net
>
> List archives are viewable at:

Steve Weir
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
121 North River Drive
Narragansett, RI 02882

California office
(866) 675-4630 Business
(707) 780-1951 Fax

Main office
(401) 284-1827 Business
(401) 284-1840 Fax

Oregon office
(503) 430-1065 Business
(503) 430-1285 Fax

http://www.teraspeed.com
This e-mail contains proprietary and confidential intellectual property of
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net

List archives are viewable at: