[SI-LIST] Re: Board via characteristics (fwd)

  • From: Chris Cheng <chris.cheng@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 14:06:18 -0700

I believe the need for 2.5D or 3D is to extract
out the so call residue parasitic. The basic
concept is calculating the ideal inductance
(which to me is not quite correct) of a
continuous trace vs. the same length of
trace but going through a via in the middle.
This is supposed to take care of the via
inductance and any flinging effect at the
turn.
IMO, if you simply need a single value of
inductance for a via, you are better off
saving your money and just use the rule of
thumb of 1nh per mm. The result between that
and 2D or 2.5D will be reasonably close.
When you truly start to worry via inductance,
you really need to have a complete picture of
the current loop between the signal, reference
plane and the return via for both. Something
I've been preaching for a long time.