[SI-LIST] Re: Board via characteristics (fwd)

  • From: Ray Anderson <Raymond.Anderson@xxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 14:31:30 -0700 (PDT)

>Hi, Ray:
>
>I think most 2.5D simulators do not use equations for the vias. They do
>simulate it. However, most of them assume the current is constant in the
>z-direction. The IE3D from Zeland Software, Inc. does solve the current
>variation in the z-direction. The IE3D even solves the current on an
>arbitrary 3D polygons such as wire bonds precisely. Thanks!

>Jian-X. Zheng, Ph.D

Jian-

Thanks for the update. I must admit it has been a few
years since I was evaluating field solvers. I'm glad
to hear that trend is towards actually field solving the
3D discontinuities as opposed to solving pre-defined
equations as was common a few years ago.

However, be aware that there are still some out there
that utilize the equation based approach. (vendor names
withheld to protect the guilty :)

-Ray

List archives are viewable at: