[SI-LIST] Re: Board via characteristics (fwd)

  • From: "Raj Raghuram" <raghu@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Raymond.Anderson@xxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 May 2002 10:09:49 -0700

Dear Ray and others,

It is possible to solve a via using a 2D solver, though not the kind one
usually thinks of. The via, pads, and antipads can be assumed to be circular
in which case the variations with the angle 'phi' in cylindrical coordinates
can be neglected. It is then a 2D problem in cylindrical coordinates. There
are a few papers based on this approach. I would be happy to dig out
references if anybody is interested.

This approach works for the capacitances, but not for the inductances. The
inducatances are dependent on the return path and a simulation of a larger
part of the structure may be necessary.

Best Regards,

Raj Raghuram
Sigrity, Inc.