[SI-LIST] Re: Antwort: Re: Questions about interplane capacitance

  • From: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Scott McMorrow <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 08:59:56 -0700

Just to add a little note on this, a balanced NRZ coding scheme, ie
SSN-less only requires N+2 bits to encode N bits of data.  The
trade-offs are the complexity and delays associated with the encode /
decode logic versus pin utilization.  A fully balanced 8b/10q ( Not the
IBM standard ) is 80% pin efficient compared to 1b/1q  saves 30% of the
I/O required by an equivalent 1b/2q scheme and the logic while larger
than 2X 4b/6q still isn't very demanding.  Given the low cost in silicon
and packaging, and the big improvement in system performance / cost I'm
really somewhat mystified as to why we haven't seen front-side and
memory busses move this way.

Best Regards,

Steve

--
Steve Weir
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
121 North River Drive
Narragansett, RI 02882

California office
(408) 884-3985 Business
(707) 780-1951 Fax

Main office
(401) 284-1827 Business
(401) 284-1840 Fax

Oregon office
(503) 430-1065 Business
(503) 430-1285 Fax

http://www.teraspeed.com
This e-mail contains proprietary and confidential intellectual property of
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net

List archives are viewable at: