[SI-LIST] Re: AW: Multi-Giga-Hertz Rigid-Flex Feasibility

  • From: Richard Jungert <r_jungert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Jeff Loyer <jeff.loyer@xxxxxxxxx>, hirsh itzack <ihirshtal@xxxxxxxxxx>, si list freelist <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 14:16:12 -0800

Jeff

Maybe from a skew standpoint the flex could be better and yes there are skew
issues with ribbonized coax's that have to be considered.

From what I am hearing about at conferences there are miniature coax's, single
and ribbonized out there now that run up to 10-12 gb/s with <10% eye closure.

One way around the flex stiffness problem is simply to fabricate with 1/4 or
1/8 oz copper. Disc drive mfg's have been doing this for years.

According to my cable loss calculator one can be off +/- 5% with  impedance and
still have a good >20db return loss.

Richard

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net