[SI-LIST] Re: AW: Multi-Giga-Hertz Rigid-Flex Feasibility

  • From: Scott McMorrow <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Lee Ritchey <leeritchey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2009 09:05:08 -0500

I agree with Lee, microstrip works just fine for flex circuits with a
cover layer.  High performance stripline is also achievable in a
flexible assembly if you crosshatch the planes.  To do this, you need to
do a bit of engineering homework in order to achieve controlled
impedance and low loss.
scott

Lee Ritchey wrote:
> Itzhtal,
>
> I use both polyamide based flex material and Liquid Crystal Polymer from
> Rogers.  Both work well.  LCP has lower loss.
>
> The reason that stripline is usually not used in flex circuits is that
> makes a 3 layer assembly which is not very flexible.  There is nothing
> wrong with microstrip.  Works fine.
>
> Lee Ritchey

Scott McMorrow
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
121 North River Drive
Narragansett, RI 02882
(401) 284-1827 Business
(401) 284-1840 Fax

http://www.teraspeed.com

Teraspeed® is the registered service mark of
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net

List archives are viewable at: