[SI-LIST] Re: 24-layer PCB Stack-up

  • From: "Jackson, T L" <t.l.jackson@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: ched_chang@xxxxxxxxxxx, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 09:09:30 -0800

Chai,

For the 8 signal layers that you mention, I would suggest a 22-layer
stack-up like:

1.      Signal 1
2.      Ground
3.      Power
4.      Signal 2
5.      Ground
6.      Power
7.      Signal 3
8.      Ground
9.      Power
10.     Signal 4
11.     Ground
------------------- < Insert one more Power and Ground layer pair, if
necessary, to get to 24 layers
12.     Power
13.     Signal 5
14.     Ground
15.     Power
16.     Signal 6
17.     Ground
18.     Power
19.     Signal 7
20.     Ground
21.     Power
22.     Signal 8

This stack-up has 8 signal layers, 7 ground layers, and 7 power layers.
This stack-up will produce the greatest amount of board capacitance,
reducing the need for discrete decoupling capacitors.  The inner signal
layers are almost completely shielded, so as many traces as possible
should be run on them, leaving a minimum amount of traces on the two
outer signal layers.  If you felt that you really needed to maximize the
shielding, why not run a ground trace around the perimeter of the inner
signal layers to reduce emissions or reception from the edges of the
board?

Unless this board is extremely large, I don't think 166 MHz will be a
problem with careful layout.  Tricks like putting vias on the sides of
passive component pads, rather than outside of the pads, will do more to
reduce parasitic inductance from decoupling than trying to minimize the
connection lengths in the vias.

That's the way I would do it based on the information you've given.

TJ
Thomas L. Jackson, P.E.
Senior Staff System Engineer
Department 72FS, Mechanism Products System Engineering
Lockheed Martin Space Systems Company
Building 149
1111 Lockheed Martin Way
P.O. Box 3504