[SI-LIST] 2.4 GHz antenna - metal case related (non?) issues

  • From: Dimiter Popoff <dp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2008 15:22:55 +0200

Not being an RF person I hope someone on this list would be
able and willing to comment on that.

 I am about to build in a Bluetooth and/or a wifi module in a
small device which will be in a metal (0.5mm brass) case;
it looks more or less like a tiny laptop.
 The surface where the keyboard of a laptop would be located
will not be metal, it would be fair to assume it to be
a 4 layer PCB.
 I am eyeing an NSC module - LMX9838 - which comes with its
antenna included and everything. I know I cannot put that
inside the metal case (even though I am non-RF... :-) ),
but I wonder if I can get away with putting it just under
the PCB closing the "keyboard" side - having etched all metal
over it? If this would work, how much an opening do I need?
How much degradation - roughly estimated, obviously - would
that result into?
 Another chance I see is to place the module - it is a tiny
10x17 PCB, antenna included in one edge of its board - so
that it would close a hole of its size (somewhat larger)
in the case. That would leave it open from one side and
totally closed at the other. How about this? Might be a bit
better than beneath the PCB...

 Thanks for any insight,

Dimiter

Dimiter Popoff               Transgalactic Instruments

http://www.tgi-sci.com

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net

List archives are viewable at: