[ SHOWGSD-L ] whites

  • From: Pharaohs Revenge <pharaohsrevenge@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2012 16:42:30 -0500

Actually, Evan, you have it backwards. There was never a united front to
separate the whites. When the DQ went into place, a club called the White
German Shepherd Dog Club of America was formed. It was later renamed the White
German Shepherd Dog Club International. Until I believe it was the late 80s,
early 90s, all white Fanciers showed in this organization and it was this
organization's goal to keep the white a GSD. After that time, there was a
splinter and another group decided they wanted to separate from the GSD breed
and founded the American White Shepherd Assoc. Today, there's really just two
factions, one that wants to stay a GSD (White German Shepherd Dog Federation)
and one that doesn't (AWSA). I am one that wants to stay a GSD and can speak to
say that the main concern for us is staying a GSD. Would we like to compete as
a GSD in conformation? Sure we would (regardless if it meant in the same ring
or as a variety), but our main concern is staying part of the breed that the
white dog is, a GSD.

Donna

That is the problem. A lot of the White breeders talk to me. Some, (one
group) wants to be a separate breed as in Europe.  Some, (a second group)
wants to compete with German shepherds in the conformation ring.  A third
group wants to be a separage class in the GSD show ring like smooth coated
collies. Then there is the fourth group that wants to keep things as they  are.

When this issue first was brought to the board, when I was a member of the
board, they were united and wanted to separate.  Today there are different
factions.

I think it is clear what I think about awards. I feel that if someone earns
 the award, they should get it. If we want to disqualify white for
obedience,  then we should do it.  They did if for conformation, and if we
allow
whites  to compete at our national in obedience and they beat all those
fantastic black  and tans, then they should get the top award.

I don't see it as a white issue.  Maybe we should stop the whites from
showing at all in all venues.  After all, we were told in herding the sheep
don't respect the whites.  That should be enough to stop them for all  time.

Evan  Ginsburg
Asgard German Shepherds
http://www.asgardgsd.com/
Where Type Movement and Temperament  come together