[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: was Spay, now "show quality"

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: Gsdman2@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 07:15:25 EST

In a message dated 3/25/2006 8:24:41 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
Gsdman2@xxxxxxx writes:
While  you can use phenotype as a tool to judge what
a breeding pair might  potentially produce, you should never assume that the
phenotype in any one  breeding partner, or even in both breeding partners, is
all
you can expect  in the litter.

I totally agree.  AND I agree with your wanting a "good" bitch  from a
"great" litter.  If her littermates are great, the odds are on your  side that
she
will produce better than herself.  (I didn't think that  needed to be said.)
The reverse is just as true.  If one were to take a  so-so bitch from a
mediocre
litter, despite having a few notables in the  pedigree, odds aren't on their
side.

If you re-read my original post, I said that phenotype (in this case,  "show
quality") was only the beginning.

The problem I have is building a "foundation" on something less than what a
person would aspire to have.  Surely when something isn't good enough,  you've
heard it said "take her home and breed her"?  We can all find where  once in
a while, in a generation or two, maybe three, something has come of  it.
(And, I'm not talking about a coat or a torn ear or injury keeping  something
from
being "good enough).  OK, if you want to do the generation,  or two, or three
thing, so be it.  I'd rather have a bitch who is "good  enough", with a
mother who was "good enough", with sisters who were "good  enough", etc. from a
cookie-cutter litter deep in quality.  Of course, it  isn't foolproof. To me,
it's a much better starting place,  though.

Kathy
three generations of Dual Titled Champions  live here!

visit _Pine Hill German Shepherd  Dogs_