[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: temperament test

  • From: Santanagsd1954@xxxxxx
  • To: Tam@xxxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 13:22:38 EST

In a message dated 11/16/04 9:20:33 AM Pacific Standard Time,
Tam@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<<
 Nothing like setting myself up for a lynching my first week on the list,
 BUT, I've seen the so called temperament test used in many ways, most of
 them dead wrong, IMHO.  A normal good tempered dog should not be asked to
 ignore anyone acting strange.  No, they shouldn't be frightened but they
 should be wary, and if someone is acting very strange a good, strong
 tempered dog would be expected to react with a strong growl at the very
 least. The judge who attempts to frighten the daylights out of a dog,
 especially a puppy, should expect to have complaints written to the AKC. As
 a trainer and behaviorist I also do not believe in proofing the natural
 wariness out of a dog.  We should never frighten our youngsters, and it is
 normal to react to bizarre behavior. We need to give them self confidence,
 not teach them to ignore their instincts.   If a bizarre stranger was
 approaching me in a dark parking lot I'd certainly expect any German
 Shepherd, or any other dog for that matter, to back him off.   A loose lead
 temperament evaluation should expect the dog to stand, unassisted by the
 handler, while approached by a NEUTRAL stranger, showing neither fear or
 aggression.

 Tam
 Foxridge
 NC

   Excellent post,  Tam !!!!

All sorts of tests for everything are usually performed by human beings.

 Which reminds me  of an old  African  proverb:  'There are 40 different
kinds of lunacy, but only one kind of Common Sense'...'

So that limits our odds on how many Humans have  'Good  Common Sense'...
Asking that to be Matched  with'  Good  Dog Sense'....really cuts into the
odds..
JMO Barb Williams
http://www.SantanaGermanShepherds.com
POST is Copyrighted 2004.  All material remains the property of the Poster and
of GSD Communication, Inc. NO REPRODUCTIONS or FORWARDS of any kind are
permitted without prior permission of the original poster AND of the Showgsd-l
Management. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

For technical help and administrative matters, please contact the List
Administrators at admin@xxxxxxxxxxxx