[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: stomping, cheering crowds

  • From: Gsdman2@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 23:46:35 EST

In a message dated 1/25/2005 9:54:32 AM Central Standard Time,
edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
lets be honest...the only
reason its done is to influence the judge
In one sense, this is true.  However, shouldn't you then consider why the
crowd is trying to influence the judge?  I submit that the primary reason they
clap and cheer, even if to influence the judge, is because they want that
particular dog to win ... which just happens to be a great reason to cheer.

1992 -  Perry GA ... Ralph Roberts was judging and the stands were packed to
the ceiling.   All of the cuts had been made and Ralph was down to one final
decision.  In front ... Gary Staser handling Uzi and Gail Sprock handling
McKinley.  It is likely that many of the audience started the day cheering for
another one of the dogs, but eventually it came down to these two.  If in the
beginning their favorite wasn't Uzi or McKinley, that was water under the
bridge
because everyone else already had their place in line.  Ralph played the crowd
like a master.  He sent them around with Uzi in front ... The crowd screamed.
He sent them around with McKinley in front.  The crowd screamed louder!  He
switched them ... cheers from all over the arena!  Ralph lined them up ... The
noise didn't let up for a moment.  He stepped back and looked at Uzi... It
didn't seem like it could get louder, but it did!  He stepped toward McKinley
and
ran his hand over the dog.  There was screaming and stomping from every
corner of the place!  He moved forward and did the same with Uzi.  It was
almost
like being at game seven with the home team winning the World Series.  Gary was
in his last days of handling, and while most of us could see that he was
hurting, I doubt he paid much attention to it.  Gail, as always, looked like
she
could go on for hours. Ralph sent them around and people had to be wondering if
the stands might collapse like the walls of Jericho!  I don't know if all of
this took two minutes or twenty minutes ... My hands hurt from clapping so
hard!   All of a sudden Ralph pointed toward Uzi!!!!

I don't know what anyone else thinks, but that sort of excitement is a large
part of why we dream of GV and Select titles for our dogs. It isn't whether
the crowd is clapping for or against any of the dogs.  It is the excitement of
the competition that everyone is drawn in by. It is also that which drew most
people to the show in the first place, and it is what will bring them back next
year.

Tom Langlitz