[ SHOWGSD-L ] stomping, cheering crowds

  • From: pruett@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 06:53:08 -0500

>There are many excuses for why our numbers have dropped ...
>but in the end it is the degree of interest generated in what we do that
>determines how many people will be involved.  In order to increase interest,
>at
>least at the national specialty venue, we had better focus on the "WOW" that
>is
>only generated with the large entries that bring in large stomping and
>cheering
>crowds.  That means that the show must be accessible (drivable) for as many
>people as possible.

>Tom Langlitz

I submit that one of the reasons our numbers have dropped is because of the
stomping, cheering crowds.  If you are new to showing GSD's or if you aren't
part of a handlers' in-crowd, your very nice dog will not have anybody stomping
and/or cheering for it.  It is disheartening to have your dog go around the
ring in total silence when other animals in your class have had people outside
the ring clapping and cheering for them.  And, we are sometimes rude enough to
actually boo an animal - shame on us!  I was very upset when that happened a
number of years ago at our national.  The judge wasn't anyone's favorite, but
all I could think was somebody loves that dog and I sure hoped they weren't
there to hear the jeering crowd.  We are rude to new comers and seasoned
exhibitors alike every show weekend with our cheering and stomping.  We all
know crowd support often has less to do with the quality of the animal and more
to do with who owns it, who handles it, and who has more friends present.  The
stomping and cheering is done to influence the judges decision and we do it
because, often, it works.  I'd love to see us stop that nonsense, be more
sportsmanlike by clapping for none or for all, and applauding the judges choice
after the judge makes a choice without influence from the crowd.

JMO...

Laurie