[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: re encouraging.....

  • From: Elsyd1@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 22:57:51 EDT

The very successful dog parks here in the Seattle area are relatively
liberal. There are dog poop bags and places to dispose of them all over the
park  I
go to, which is huge. Most dogs are off leash, (almost always little dogs),
and there is a wonderful stream where the big dogs water retrieve off leash. My
 own dogs are always on leash, but they get the same dog park experience, all
 kinds of dogs come to greet them, jump all over them, try to play with them.
 Initially my dogs are taken aback, but soon they are used to the others and
really enjoy meeting the doggy greeters. There is a lot of peer pressure on
people, which seems to insure that they keep their dogs out of trouble. There
may be diseases, but personally, my own animals are healthy, and  have  never
gotten ill from these encounters. I  have never seen any dog visibly  ill.
They are dogs, not hot house flowers. I have had my dogs come down  with stuff
from dog shows, never the dog parks.  Syd

In a message dated 3/31/2008 7:32:05 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
Bokenkampgsd1@xxxxxxx writes:

The following are the rules laid out for the park.....you  will note  there
are no dogs off leash in this rule.  Almost all  the people  involved so far
are
very dog savy and are teaching the  newer people  responsibility.  Great
education for dog owners  with less "dog  sense".

1. Please supply fresh water for your  dog(s);
2. Bring waste  disposal bags to pick up after your dog;
3. All dogs attending must be  current on shots and vaccinated;
4. No dogs younger than 5 months  old allowed (due to their weak  immune
system there is risk getting Parvo);
5. Please do  not bring any aggressive dogs;

6. Female dogs in  heat are not  allowed;

7. Food is prohibited near the dogs;

8. All  dogs must be on leash.  If you're bringing two dogs  bring an extra
person to hold one of your dog's leash. It's very  threatening when  two dogs
approach to greet another dog. This is  considered "teaming  up" and it can
make
for an unpleasant experience for  the dog being  approached. We want to make
this a pleasant experience for  all the  dogs.
9. Be mindful of the smaller dogs. If you have a large dog, do  not  approach
the smaller ones unless the owner says the dog is  comfortable  with large
dogs;
10. children are welcome to attend  the meetups but they must be  supervised
around the dogs. Be mindful  that not all dogs like children and  always ask
dog owners  permission before allowing your child to touch  their dog.

Molly

Trillia German Shepherds  since  1972 ph 409-287-3940
Member GSDCA, GSDCC, GSDC of Beaumont, Life   member CKC
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a  lone  amateur
built the Ark. A large group of professionals built  the  Titanic"

**************Create a Home Theater Like the  Pros. Watch the video on AOL
Home.
(http://home.aol.com/diy/home-improvement-eric-stromer?video=15&ncid=aolhom000
30000000001)

POST  is Copyrighted 2007.  All material remains the property of the original
kind  are permitted without prior permission of the original author  AND of the

FORBIDDEN,
AND IS A VIOLATION OF LAW.  VIOLATORS OF THIS PROHIBITION WILL BE PROSECUTED.

VISIT OUR  WEBSITE -  www.showgsd.org

Home.