[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: perception

  • From: "Jessica MacMillan" <spotted101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 09:22:32 -0500

Unfortunately, I think that as a general rule, established dog people have a
rather poor reputation with many of the newbies. It isn't just GSD that seem
to have folks that complain about the lack of compassion or mentorship. It
seems to be an issue in many other breeds as well.

Just two comments - we as the ambassadors for our breeds do need to take new
and excited people under our wings - that's what helps this sport grow and
succeed - that especially goes for Junior handlers... If you have a local
junior, support them - stay and cheer for them and if they don't have a very
good dog for Juniors - offer to co-own a better dog for juniors. Let them
train your puppies (nothing beats a junior for patience when it comes to
training)..

And a comment for the newbies - find established successful people that you
are comfortable with. Ask questions, LISTEN to the answers - don't think you
know everything. I think know-it-alls are the reason established breeders
get frustrated with newbies. Don't gossip - don't say "so and so told me
this, blah blah blah"... Many breeders find that offensive. Listen to what
they all have to say :-)

And even as an experienced person, you can still learn...

And remember, our sport lives on newbies...Help a newbie, help the sport.

Jess Mac
Paisley Dals
& The Shepherd Girls

http://travel.msn.com/Articles/aboutfarecast.aspx&ocid=T001MSN25A07001