[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: new ...teeth

  • From: "Carolyn Martello" <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <spotted101@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <fairway97045@xxxxxxxxx>, <dan-ann@xxxxxxxx>, <pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 09:26:54 -0700

I don't think anyone can beat Terry's experience with teeth coming out the
nose........<G>
But teeth that come out late are the actual BABY teeth.    They stay in the
mouth and give the
"appearance"  of a full mouth because there is NO permanent tooth beneath it to
push it out!
They will stay there as long as up to 10 months ......so some are even shown
with the owner
and judge thinking they have a full mouth.
Typically right around five months you can see double rows of teeth.....the
baby teeth still 'in' the
mouth and the permanent teeth pushing through alongside them.   This is the
best time to
evaluate a full mouth on a puppy if you don't have them X-rayed earlier.

There are no button teeth in a puppy.....so when you see it.... it will
definitely be a permanent tooth.

The worst thing about missing teeth is how they will come back to "bite" you.
You can think you have
resolved the problem in a breeing.....but it lurks below the surface ( or gum
line <G> )   for several generations
and as Sally said......will 'surface' again and again........and almost always
on the best pup.    <G>
Not a serious health problem...........but we try to avoid it as if it were.

Carolyn    marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.Marhaven.com

There is also a piece of pedigree where the dogs appear to have complete
dentition at 10 months and then at a year and a half, the dogs are missing
premolars. Apparently those teeth are either baby teeth or not properly
grounded adult teeth and they fall out somewhere around a year... Quite a
surprise to see your dog with complete dentition is missing teeth the next time
you look in his mouth!   Jessica MacMillan

  To:  showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
I bred one that had one of it's canine teeth come out it's nose. Beat that.
Nice dog too. The vet said it is hereditary
and the most rare problem that happens  .Dog was neutered placed as a pet.   >
Terry

It will be interesting, when you breed this bitch to see what her offspring do,
since I have found SOME bite issues
are inherited  ( though not all because I bred brother/sister together and both
missing the same premolars and the
whole litter had complete dentition )

And when the progeny were bred what did they produce.  I always found you could
correct a missing tooth in one
 generation but in the following generations it would come back and get you
always in the best pup

Sally
www.embroiderybysally.org