[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: new subect...teeth

  • From: Jessica MacMillan <spotted101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 09:03:03 -0500

Hi Kathy -

Interesting to read your post. We get bad mouthes in Dals occasionally
(undershot) and so most Dal folks are pretty tuned into the mouthes on their
dogs (although we don't ask for complete dentition).

My experience fits with yours AND if the front teeth come in DIFFERENTLY than
you mention, then it seems like there is more of a chance for jaws to slide.

As for canine teeth. Not sure if there is any set routine for those. We have
retained baby teeth in some lines in our breed and it is usually canines that
won't come out. Most show vets say to wait until the pups are 7 months old to
pull them as canines can come out that late. Not my experience (if they are
still there at 6 months, they are still there at 7 months).

It will be interesting, when you breed this bitch to see what her offspring do,
since I have found SOME bite issues are inherited (though not all because I
bred brother/sister together and both missing the same premolars and the whole
litter had complete dentition).

Does this bitch have nice side alignment and big teeth or does she have short
teeth? I have found that shorter the teeth, the stranger things happen.

Jessica MacMillan
No Frills Dog Bathing Service & Design
Paisley Dals (www.paisleydals.com)
& The Shepherd Girls (Simmie, CGC, TDI, TC, HIC & Pepper, HIC)
Member of: DCA, GSDCA & GTCDC

inbox.