[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: more sick and tired...

  • From: "Susan Madlung" <stormygsd@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <culzeans1@xxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 20:52:09 -0700

there are so many factors contributing to what Peggy is saying.. it isn't
just about the "old guard" getting too old to guard anything <joke>, but
that the next generation of dog fanciers is faced with untold obstacles -
accessibility to shows as the ability to travel becomes more and more
prohibitive, limited "expendable" cash to cover the ever mounting costs
associated with showing dogs - whether you do it yourself or hire a handler,
young families and careers that consume time and energy.. the next
generations are the X & Y generations.. generations with completely
different sets of values, goals and ideals than us Boomers had. They will be
forced to pursue interests closer to home - since performance events can be
equally satisfying with 1 dog or 50 (this can't be said for conformation) it
won't matter too much - these groups will still get their "fix"..

They can't be bothered with the nonsense some of the 'elitist old guard"
tend to hand out..they have better things to do with their time and money.
these generations tend not to be as dedicated to their "work" as Boomers
have been..

I actually think that dog shows will go the way of the Drive-in theatres...

Just my thoughts..
Sue (not Stormy) Madlung
Shadowacre German Shepherds
www.shadowacre.com