[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: mixed breeds competing in AKC

  • From: "Sue Mazzeo" <Sue.Mazzeo@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "showgsd-l digest users" <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 08:29:19 -0800

Stormy,

Yes, the agility and rally trials do have the same option of bringing in an
additional judge for overflow.  However, it isn't quite as easy as it is in
conformation.  In agility, not only do you have to find an additional judge,
but you also have to find an additional set of that very expensive equipment.
And you must have room for an additional ring. Then there are the additional
stewards needed for the ring.  It takes at least four people per ring.

With tracking the number of judges is not the problem.  The space for
additional tracks is the biggest problem.  And it's getting worse every year.
Our local obedience club used to be able to give a 10 track TDX test (with two
sets of judges) every year.  Now we are lucky to have space for 5 tracks.  We
also used to give 24 track TD tests and now only have space for 12 tracks.

Sue Mazzeo

From: Stormy Hope <Stormy435@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: mixed breeds competing in AKC
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 07:46:58 -0800
Julie raises some important points and there are more questions than
answers.

When conformation shows have more than the expected entries, do they
have the option of getting a second judge?  I know in the all breed
rings, there is some shuffling around when entries exceed the limits.

Do Performance trials have that same option?  If Agility trials are
that popular (wow!), is there a mechanism for opening another ring,
bringing in another judge?  Obedience?  Rally has become very popular,
rings are easy to set up, add a judge?Do AKC agility trials have that
kind of entry?  Why aren't more specialty clubs offering them... oh,
right, workers in the rings and out of them :-(

Tracking is another story.  Tracking has been so difficult to enter
for what seems like ages.  Space needed, time per dog, helpers, etc.
And are there less tracking judges than other venues?  Is that the
same, by the way for herding Class C?  Time and space?

It seems that even without the added entries of mixed breeds there is
a problem.  What are the solutions to the first problem, then that
might make the second problem not so great?  I don't have answers,
just questions :-)

I would bet with the correct outcry of unsterilized mixed breeds
registration privileges will get that one changed quickly.

Stormy

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This communication with its contents may contain
confidential and/or legally privileged information. It is solely for the use of
the intended recipient(s). Unauthorized interception, review, use or disclosure
is prohibited and may violate applicable laws including the Electronic
Communications Privacy Act. If you are not the intended recipient, please
contact the sender and destroy all copies of the communication.