[ SHOWGSD-L ] You never know

  • From: "crudolf tds.net" <crudolf@xxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 18:00:13 -0400

I loved Barbara's article and since I live out in the "boonies" with my
dogs, cats alpacas and one lonesome Guinea, I always have two dogs in the
house with me.  Of course, the other four or five in the kennel runs, which
are close to my house, also let loose when anyone comes onto my property,
which is also fenced due to the animals.  In addition, my two Anatolian
Shepherds are impressive in size and bark and they are generally the first
to alert, along with the Guinea, of course.  It is impossible for anyone to
get to my house without first encountering either a GSD or an ASD.
I also had, at one time, a GSD that did not bark at all.  My mother and I
were concerned that he would never be a watch dog.  However, my mom worked
for a few months in Missouri and I would go to visit her on week-ends.  Of
course, I took the dog with me.  I got very tired during the six hour trip
and stopped at a rest area to snooze a bit in the back of my locked station
wagon.  I was sound asleeep when I was wakened by a deafening barking from
my "mute" dog.  Apparently, somebody had stepped a bit too close to the car
and he was not going to tolerate that.  It was then that I knew he would
always be "my guard" dog even though he was the greatest dog alive round
people normally.
. --
Christiane Rudolf
Tanglewood Farm