[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Wrong

  • From: Gsdman2@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 22:08:40 EDT

In a message dated 7/7/2005 4:29:58 PM Central Daylight Time, ELG440@xxxxxxx
writes:
At the same time, these same people don't want to allow them  to form a new
breed and leave the GSD.  Interesting.
But, maybe that is OK.  I just wonder why this attitude exists?
I've given clear explanations on several occasions.  You've apparently chosen
to not consider the common sense behind them.  Here are a couple more reasons

Not every white GSD enthusiast want's to leave the breed.  Whether we pay
attention or not, conformation is not the only thing to do with a GSD.  Many
people are proud to own their GSD, even if it is white and disqualified from
conformation competition.  When you give separate breed status, won't you be
throwing those folks out of the breed?

When this split occurs, and it has become obvious that you intend to work for
that, what will become of the black and tan dogs that are born as the Blanco
Swiss?  What penalty will be given to black and tan Blanco Swiss dogs in their
conformation ring?  What will happen with the white GSDs that are born after
the split?  Do you think the issue is going to disappear just because some of
the dogs are cut away?

The German Shepherd Dog is not supposed to be white.  It is one of the
guidelines for the breed.  Your compassion for the people who freely chose to
ignore
that rule is guiding your opinion.  What else is possible with that way of
thinking?  I'm sure there have been many bank robbers who really needed the
money.  They probably only did the crime to feed their families.  Those poor
folks
were only victims of society. We should make bank robbery legal for poor
folks like that.. shouldn't we?  Of course that is a stretch. Intentionally
breeding white GSDs is not a crime against society in general.  It is however,
intentionally breeding disqualifying faults, and that is ... or at least was
and
should be ... completely contrary to what good purebred dog breeders do.  It is
a total disregard for the standard, and the standard is why the breed exists
to this day.

Why not ask the more logical question?  Color is pretty unimportant where the
GSD is concerned.  However, they are not supposed to be white, and so that
one color is not to be bred.  With the obvious overall unimportance of color in
the breed, why does anyone insist on breeding that one disqualifying color?
Breed for the standard folks... or you'll end up with no breed at all.

Tom Langlitz