[ SHOWGSD-L ] Why vote? (was Why I will never vote to change the White DQ)

  • From: InquestGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: InquestGSD@xxxxxxx, campaignersgsd@xxxxxxxxx, rautt75@xxxxxxxxx, lyloak@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2013 21:48:53 -0400 (EDT)

I just did a brief overview on the Willis book, and when studying known
genetic defects on the breed (an entire section of the book is dedicated to
this) while long coats and wire coats are referenced, not once is white coat
mentioned. The array of known possible defects is quite long, btw.

Why were whites DQ'd  in the first place?

Ileana

In a message dated 10/29/2013 9:40:29 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
InquestGSD@xxxxxxx writes:
They  already are in our gene pool. They have been there.
Hell, apparently  piebalds are in our gene pool as well.

Ileana

In a message  dated 10/29/2013 9:36:30 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
campaignersgsd@xxxxxxxxx writes:

If someone could explain to me  what good it would do for our current gene
pool to include whites I  could rationalize all this.
Joan

On Tuesday, October 29,  2013 9:31 PM,  "InquestGSD@xxxxxxx"
<InquestGSD@xxxxxxx>  wrote:

Meaning no disrespect to anyone, but neither Jim  nor  Randy were there
when

the changes happened. All they are  sharing  is their interpretations, and

applaud them for taking  the  time.

If I may, I will suggest that before anyone jumps on either   of the side's

emotional bandwagons, do your homework, and read  the  following books:

-The German Shepherd Dog (Capt v  Stephanitz)
-The  German Shepherd Dog, a genetic history of the  breed.  (Malcolm
Willis)
-This is the German Shepherd  (Goldbecker/Hart)
-The German  Shepherd Dog (Ernest Hart)

Why  are WGSDs allowed to register??   Why does AKC accept their
registration? Because they are German  Shepherds.

I have found  no real scientific evidence to justify the  supposed fear of

poor health on the white GSD's, only a lot of   misunderstanding.
Stephanitz
shared that faded color was  (in  his opinion, no science) a sign of poor
health, but even  he  admitted that white was not the same as faded.

I understand (  I think  ) the deal about Obedience Victor. Allow me to
present  a different  point. Remember the first dog you got? You had no
idea
of
rules,  standards, politics, etc. You just loved your  dog. And it was that
dog
that imprinted in you the love for the  breed. At that point, all things
were  secondary, yup, even  color. All that matter was that you  loved your
German   Shepherd.

Personally, I feel if an  entry is good enough  for the money, it should be

good enough for  the prize.

I understand that the wishes of the membership need to be   respected. You
all know me enough to know that goes without   saying. I just wish people
would
vote with their heads, not  their  anger.  May it not be a case where we
are
just voting  against an  issue because you want to vote against a   person.

JMO

Ileana

In a message dated  10/25/2013  5:38:06 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
_rautt75@gmail.com_ (mailto:rautt75@xxxxxxxxx)    writes:
The  whites were once in the Breed Standard and bred and   shown by
prestigious  breeders of the day.  It isn't like  they  were never part of
the
Standard.  The reasons  for their DQ  was found to be faulty.    You might
want to
also go back and  read the article by Jim Moses.
Anne,   GA

Sent from my  iPad

(mailto:lyloak@xxxxxxxxx) >  wrote:

> The question should not  be why so many  disapprove of whites  but why
there are those that are vehement   in their breeding  against the
standard.
As a
breeder I look at  myself as  a  guardian of the breed.  There is a
standard
and a reason for  that  standard.  For those looking to  have more
background
I  would recommend  reading Randy  Darnell's article in the latest    review

POST  is Copyrighted 2012.  All material remains the property of the

expressed in any post.