[ SHOWGSD-L ] Why vote? (was Why I will never vote to change the White DQ)

  • From: InquestGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: rautt75@xxxxxxxxx, lyloak@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2013 21:31:02 -0400 (EDT)

Meaning no disrespect to anyone, but neither Jim nor Randy were there when
the changes happened. All they are sharing is their interpretations, and I
applaud them for taking the time.

If I may, I will suggest that before anyone jumps on either of the side's
emotional bandwagons, do your homework, and read the following books:

-The German Shepherd Dog (Capt v Stephanitz)
-The German Shepherd Dog, a genetic history of the breed.  (Malcolm  Willis)
-This is the German Shepherd (Goldbecker/Hart)
-The German Shepherd Dog (Ernest Hart)

Why are WGSDs allowed to register??  Why does AKC accept their
registration? Because they are German Shepherds.

I have found no real scientific evidence to justify the supposed fear of
poor health on the white GSD's, only a lot of misunderstanding.  Stephanitz
shared that faded color was (in his opinion, no science) a sign of poor
health, but even he admitted that white was not the same as faded.

I understand ( I think ) the deal about Obedience Victor. Allow me to
present a different point. Remember the first dog you got? You had no idea of
rules, standards, politics, etc. You just loved your dog. And it was that dog
 that imprinted in you the love for the breed. At that point, all things
were  secondary, yup, even color. All that matter was that you loved your
German  Shepherd.

Personally, I feel if an entry is good enough for the money, it should be
good enough for the prize.

I understand that the wishes of the membership need to be respected. You
all know me enough to know that goes without saying. I just wish people would
 vote with their heads, not their anger.  May it not be a case where we are
 just voting against an issue because you want to vote against a person.

JMO

Ileana

In a message dated 10/25/2013 5:38:06 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
rautt75@xxxxxxxxx writes:
The  whites were once in the Breed Standard and bred and shown by
prestigious  breeders of the day.  It isn't like they were never part of the
Standard.  The reasons for their DQ was found to be faulty.    You might want
also go back and read the article by Jim Moses.
Anne,  GA

Sent from my iPad

> On Oct 25, 2013, at 5:04 PM, Jason  Lyle <lyloak@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> The question should not  be why so many disapprove of whites but why
there are those that are vehement  in their breeding against the standard.  As
breeder I look at myself as  a guardian of the breed.  There is a standard
and a reason for that  standard.  For those looking to have more background
I would recommend  reading Randy Darnell's article in the latest  review