[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: White on-History of white DQ and Herding group

  • From: "arycrest@xxxxxxxxxxx" <arycrest@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Stormy435@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 18:51:38 GMT

Your'e right.  The GSDCA writes the breed standard and it's approved by the
AKC.  The GSDCA changed the standard back in the late 50's or early 60's to DQ
the white, this change was approved by AKC.  To remove the DQ would first take
the inititive of the GSDCA to change the standard, then the AKC must approve
the change before it would become effective.
The Herding Group was split off from the Working Group in 1983 and as far as I
know, this was decided by AKC.  To the best of my knowledge, all the dogs in
the Herding Group were originally bred as herding dogs including our versitile
GSDs.  The stock guardians remained in the Working Group.
http://www.akc.org/breeds/herding_group.cfm
http://www.akc.org/breeds/working_group.cfm

For what it's worth, Slider used to take herding lessons from a breeder of
Samoyeds which are excellent herding dogs (they were originally bred for
purposes other than herding reindeer).  There was a lady in our class who had
Chinooks (not recognized by AKC) and they also were wonderful herders in
addition to being sled dogs.

Gayle & the Hooligans!
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=6&uid=4294023 - Link to The
Hooligans Albums

-- Stormy435@xxxxxxx wrote:
I   am probably wrong...I often am, but it is my understanding that it is the
GSDCA, NOT the AKC, that has disqualified the white GSD in the conformation
ring.   It can be the GSDCA that can removed that DQ.   And because I don't
follow the SV (gulp!), I am not even aware that the SV does DQ the white GSD.
hmmm, something else to check.

And my understanding was that the AKC split the working group   and made a
new group, the Herding Group.   Again, my history of that is sadly deficit, but
wasn't it the AKC that decided who went where?   I know there are some herding
dogs in the working group and surely a couple or more "working' dogs in the
herding group.

Stormy
In a message dated 8/14/07 10:20:24 AM, AGray40366@xxxxxxx writes:

> In a message dated 8/13/2007 7:49:09 PM Central Daylight Time,
> rbuffdogs@xxxxxxxxx writes:
> Ann
> I dont want them in the "back of the bus" but until the AKC makes  white
> allowable, that is where we have to start.  White is still a  DQ no matter
> how
> wonderful they are. Also the SV, is still THE worldwide voice  of the German
> Shepherd...if they opposed it, the parent club could find itself  packing
> with the
> SV having the only license for  a "German Shepherd"
>
> Kathy
>

> I agree it is a DQ, and should be treated as such. I do think since they
> were originally shown and bred as an acceptable color until the late 60's,
> they
> maintained the bloodlines, continued to register and show them, and if there
> is  enough interest and support the PC might look into allowing them to show
> in
> conformation with or without restrictions.
> Originally the SV was working dog, we the gsdca and akc moved them to
> Herding dogs, we register, breed, title, show under the auspices of the AKC,
> we  the
> GSDCA are a parent club with AKC. We didn't keep the "working dog"
> classification (even though a gsd can do anything very well)

~~~~~~~~
Stormy Hope
California Federation of Dog Clubs
www.cfodconline.org