[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: White on-History of white DQ and Herding group

  • From: Peggy <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: grnram415@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 16:20:33 -0400

They are different varieties all over the world except here and in
Belgium.  In this country, the person who led the fight to separate them
into breeds was a Tervuren breeder that many
of us know and have shown dogs to....and every time the various groups
approach AKC to reunite the breeds into one breed with varieties, that
same person, who the AKC has
deemed to be in charge, says no.
       Nevertheless, there are solid black pups in some Tervuren litters
and vice versa...and I've seen some pure black Malinois.
They differ in temperament, as well, the different Belgians....the
standards give different heights, and the heads are different now.
Malinois have replaced German Shepherds
on many European police forces, and are very popular in "ring sport,"
more so than Tervs OR Groenendahls.  The heads on Malinois for the past
15 years or so can sometimes
be very pit-bull like ... that would most definitely not be acceptable
in the other Belgians.

    To make it comparable for German Shepherds, we'd first have to do
all the things someone's already outlines, and remove white as a DQ in
our standard...then allow whites in and make them a separate
variety..............eventually, if we did that, they could become their
own breed.
Peggy