[ SHOWGSD-L ] White GSD.....Awards

  • From: "David Fritsche" <d_fritsche@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2012 08:45:03 -0800

The Standard is there for a reason. We need to abide by the Standard,
otherwise, like some suggested, anything goes. We allow one thing, then
another, and then there is no GSD.
Lee F.

Stay out of this Dave, it is too controversial!
Oh, what the heck!

I am not sure of the figures, and negotiating the AKC web site to find them
is too time consuming, but if memory serves me right, and it probably
doesn't at my age, let's say there are 50,000 German Shepherds born each
year. Most go to pet homes. Most do not conform to the standard well enough
to enter the show ring. So, let's say that 10% actually do have some chance
of becoming a show dog. Of those 5,000 dogs, only a few become champions,
maybe 50 a year. So, of the original 50,000 only 50 become champions
(Someone with time on their hands get the real figures). That is .01% of the
breed.

I suppose that this is the mystique that drives us to breed and to show.
I've had lots of dogs in my life time and loved them all. But all did not
show and all did not win. I did show to win however. I am competitive. So
are you or you would not be on this list and hang out with these crazy
people. In order for there to be an award, there has to be the exclusion of
those who do not win. They do not win, not because they are not loved or
trained or of no value. They do not win because they do not meet the
criteria for winning.  If there is no criteria, then there is no value to
the win.

Our grandkids love sports and in the initial stages of T-ball, they do not
keep score. Well that is, the parents and coaches do not keep score, or,
well they are not suppose to. But the kids keep score. They know who won and
who lost. They're not suppose to but they do. So, we keep score. I both
respect and envy those breeding programs who consistently produce the best
and win. Elitism? You bet! That is the nature of the game. Some win and some
lose, and those who win do so at the expense of those who do not.

No competition - no value in the win
No criteria - no exclusions
No exclusions - no standard
No standard - no breed.

We have the power to change the standard, the criteria, the levels of
expectation or the application of the awards. The problem is, the lower the
standard, in an effort to be more inclusive, the less value to the exclusive
nature of the sport. And that is what attracts us to the competition. So
what it boils down to is the politics of the sport. What do we want it to
be? The higher the standard the fewer people win, but the better of the
breed is overall. The lower the standard, more people can win but less want
to because the award is devalued, and the less attractive is the breed. I
only wish Washington could understand this!
Dave