[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: White GSD.....Awards

  • From: "myjoygs@xxxxxxx" <myjoygs@xxxxxxx>
  • To: marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, cherlyngsd@xxxxxxxxx, genoaktortoise@xxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2012 08:13:21 -0500 (EST)

Are obedience GSD contenders allowed to compete in obedience if they have teeth
missing, are a long coat, have noses that are not predominately black, have an
undershot jaw,  hanging ears,or neutered?  Yes I realize that not all are
disqualifying faults.  In my humble opinion, in the conformation ring the GSD
dog is judged according to the standard because they are considered breeding
stock, the dogs are judged to be the best representative of the breed on that
day in structure, character and movement according to the standard.

Obedience what are they judged for? Performance of a routine.  Are they being
judged for the best breeding animal of the day or the best performance dog on
that given day?  Yes some of our champions also do obedience but those
champions are not being judged according to the standard they are being judged
on their performance.  Therefore, I see no reason why German Shepherds who
display a fault, disqualifying fault should be banned from obedience.  They are
still German Shepherds they still think and act like a German Shepherd, they
are not being judged on how they look but how they perform.  So if a person
buys a German Shepherd and it doesn't turn out to be conformation material
because of a disqualifying fault the owner who may also be interested in
obedience can not show because of that fault?

Do I think whites should be allowed in the conformation ring no, although I
have seen some very nice structured white GSDs.

To those of you on the list who are more in the performance venue with your GSD
then the conformation venue what are your thoughts on this?

Also curious does anyone know in other breeds if they are allowed to compete in
performance events if they have a disqualifying fault according to their
standard.

MYJOY SHEPHERDS
Joyce Willis