[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: WOW

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: fmurch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 07:38:25 -0500 (EST)

Cathy, I don't think you really believe that OB was (quoting you below)
"developed for two very different reasons to allow people who had a dog that
was  not competitive for the confirmation ring have another outlet to compete
with  their dogs."

So it's a place for people with dogs that are "not exactly" to hang out and
 play?

Gosh, not for me.

When I read the intro to the OB rule book "The purpose of Obedience Trials
is to demonstrate the usefulness of the purebred dog as a companion to
man......  " I get goose bumps.

Yes, there may have been a time when breeders sold their "not exactly" dogs
 to performance people.  I was never an advocate of that practice. And yes,
 a lot of us started in performance with a dog that was "less than" and
then  wandered over to the breed ring.  (At that point many of us decided we
wanted it all.)

But I disagree that OB (or other performance venues) was developed and
promoted as an "outlet" for dogs that were "less than".

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC
Celebrating generations  of Dual Titled TC'd Champions

In a message dated 2/9/2012 7:18:09 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
fmurch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Well, I  wanted to answer Carolyn's remarks about what I said with the
obedience and  confirmation venues. I was not saying this to put a "Chasm"
between the  obedience and breed people. I was saying this as these venues were
recognized  and  developed for two very different reasons to allow people who
had a  dog that was not competitive for the confirmation ring have another
outlet to  compete with their dogs.
If it was not for my start in obedience with my  ILP GSD, I would have
never gotten as involved in the breed or the sport  itself.

This is the same reason that Rally and Agility have been  developed, not
everyone wants to do obedience. Many of the dogs from all  different breeds
competing in performance would never make it in the breed  ring, but that is
not why their handlers got them and this is the majority,  the number of CH
competing from any breed in performance are in the  minority.

I have great respect for Lori and Julie and what they have  accomplished
with their CH. dogs and for that matter what your dogs have  accomplished.
Jane Jeter was a friend and we use to compete in obedience  together and I
know what it was like to be treated as a second class citizen  at shows, we did
not even have any tents in the early 80's to go under. We  paid our entry
fees they same as the breed folks, but we were treated  differently.

Perhaps as has been suggested, if the "Total Dog" is all  that important,
then the Selects should have to have some sort of performance  title.

I just believe that people who love the GSD and work hard to put  the time
and the money into performance should be allowed to compete for the  top
award in that venue.

Also, call me stupid, but isn't obedience the  only performance title we
give a GV in? If performance and the "Total Dog": is  so very important then
each venue should have such an award and Agility is the  fastest growing
venue of the AC.

I just feel if people support the  breed and the Club they should be
entitled to won the honors. By the way, does  any one remember last years AKC's
Search and Rescue GSD at Eukanuba? He had  flopped  ears, but his work won him
honors and that everyone should be  proud of as he represented what this
breed was breed to  do.

Cathy
Kelstar

fmurch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
EarthLink Revolves  Around  You.

POST  is Copyrighted 2011.  All material remains the property of the

expressed in any post.