[ SHOWGSD-L ] WOW

  • From: "fmurch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <fmurch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "GSD List" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2012 19:17:31 -0500

Well, I wanted to answer Carolyn's remarks about what I said with the obedience
and confirmation venues. I was not saying this to put a "Chasm" between the
obedience and breed people. I was saying this as these venues were recognized
and  developed for two very different reasons to allow people who had a dog
that was not competitive for the confirmation ring have another outlet to
compete with their dogs.
If it was not for my start in obedience with my ILP GSD, I would have never
gotten as involved in the breed or the sport itself.

This is the same reason that Rally and Agility have been developed, not
everyone wants to do obedience. Many of the dogs from all different breeds
competing in performance would never make it in the breed ring, but that is not
why their handlers got them and this is the majority, the number of CH
competing from any breed in performance are in the minority.

I have great respect for Lori and Julie and what they have accomplished with
their CH. dogs and for that matter what your dogs have accomplished.  Jane
Jeter was a friend and we use to compete in obedience together and I know what
it was like to be treated as a second class citizen at shows, we did not even
have any tents in the early 80's to go under. We paid our entry fees they same
as the breed folks, but we were treated differently.

Perhaps as has been suggested, if the "Total Dog" is all that important, then
the Selects should have to have some sort of performance title.

I just believe that people who love the GSD and work hard to put the time and
the money into performance should be allowed to compete for the top award in
that venue.

Also, call me stupid, but isn't obedience the only performance title we give a
GV in? If performance and the "Total Dog": is so very important then each venue
should have such an award and Agility is the fastest growing venue of the AC.

I just feel if people support the breed and the Club they should be entitled to
won the honors. By the way, does any one remember last years AKC's Search and
Rescue GSD at Eukanuba? He had flopped  ears, but his work won him honors and
that everyone should be proud of as he represented what this breed was breed to
do.

Cathy
Kelstar

fmurch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx