[ SHOWGSD-L ] Vick vs Rose by any other name

  • From: ELG440@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 14:50:37 EDT

In a message dated 7/29/09 6:25:24 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
windwych@xxxxxxxxx writes:
Micheal  Vick should have been thrown in the pen with the dogs. To allow a
sub human  such as this to continue to make ANY kind of a living (and no I
do not care  that he "paid his debt" to society...he can NEVER rectify the
horrendous  torture and pain he caused those sweet dogs who looked to him for
their care)  is an abomination.

Let me preface this by saying I consider myself a flaming liberal.

I understand the anger over Michael Vick and I myself am sadened aand upset
 over the fact that he sanctioned dog fighting at his home, when he was not
 there. But, he was sentenced, convicted and went to jail. This is what
should  have happened, we don't allow the death penalty except for murder and
kidnapping.  Of course, treason is also in there.

When someone gets out of jail, they are allowed to return to society.
Sonny Liston held the heavyweight title, although he was a convicted  felon.
They took it away from Mohamad Alli, even before his conviction was
considered, and then overturned by the Supreme Court.

I have a number of clients who I failed, and who went to state  prison.
When they get out, and if they survive the brutal enviornment of  prison, they
have the right to return to society, and to try to regain a  life.

I don't like what Michael Vick did, but I do like that he was punished,
released, and should not now have another further sentence or punishment.   He
served his time, and he should be allowed to move on. What he did was not
related to his sport, (Pete Rose gambled on baseball, Bernie Madoff will
never  be allowed in investing), and if he can earn a living in football, I
commend him  on dealing with his mistakes and taking his punishment.

I do understand the outrage from the dog world, but perhaps our passion
should be saved for those who continue to break the law, without being
punished.

As an attorney I may have more respect for the laws and the punishment
given out.  A judge makes that decision.  I can't help but feel that  after a
sentence is over, a person returns to society. We can choose to hate  that
person, but our personal beliefs should not be allowed to overturn the  legal
system.  It is a good system, and serves us well.

Evan  Ginsburg
Asgard German Shepherds
http://www.asgardgsd.com/
**************Hot Deals at Dell on Popular Laptops perfect for Back to