[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Vick vs Rose

  • From: "Tom Elkins" <firethorntemple@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wernersommers@xxxxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 13:56:51 -0500

One thing that I think people are missing here is that what Pete Rose did
undermined the very integrity of major league baseball. All players know
from day one that betting on games is illegal, and what the consequences
will be if they do so. MLB has both a right and a responsibility to defend
its integrity and to ban anyone who violates this totally essential rule. He
was betting on games both in which he was not involved AND in games in which
he was directly involved. He then consistently lied about it for many years.
Whether or not MLB will eventually allow him to enter the Hall of Fame is an
open question, but MLB is absolutely in a morally and ethically justifiable
position if they never allow him to enter the Hall of Fame.

tom elkins
Firethorn Temple
http://www.firethorntemple.com