[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Understanding the GSD Standard

  • From: "David Fritsche" <d_fritsche@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cudjoegsd@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2015 14:33:41 -0800

My personal take on this may be different than the dictionary. The dictionary
may define things a certain way, but the application of those terms within a
given discipline may be different. That is, the dictionary changes over time
because of usage or culture but the use of a term in the past may have meant
something totally different.

In many fields, theology, psychology, history, government, etc. we often refer
back to the writings of philosophers of the past, only to find terms used
differently or term used that are no longer used.

As applied to our standard, a fault is usually a specific thing that is a
defect in the animal. Desirable is used for several thing, color as an example.
The problem is, color is not a definite measurement but a subjective matter in
that colors vary, not by large leaps but by minuscule degrees. Therefore, I
would think that a fault of color is worse than a less than desirable color
that is less than rich and dark,

Personal interpretation, faults are more serious than a desired preference. All
dogs being equal (seldom the case) the preferred counts. All dogs being almost
equal but one with a defined fault and one who is a little light in color, I
would thing the light dog wins.

But then, what do I know?????

Dave