[ SHOWGSD-L ] Understanding the GSD Standard

  • From: "David Fritsche" <d_fritsche@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cudjoegsd@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2015 15:00:51 -0800

My example of ‘desired color’ is wrong. Apologies… It is not preffered to as
desirable, but preferred.

So here’s the standard thing….

Undesirable: Undershot jaw, undo length

Desirable: Proper proportions

Desired: Height

Preferred: Color, complete dentition

Each of those terms, in particular complete dentition, seems to leave some
discretion. Detention states complete is preferred, but any missing other than
the first premolars is a serious fault. So the judge is up against an
evaluation of degrees – equal dogs, one with a missing premolar, not a big deal
but it would be better if he had full mouth.

These terms are not objectionable to me because it allows for discretion on the
part of the judge. In fact, it requires discretion on the part of the judge.
That’s not a bad thing.

Increasingly out criminal law is moving toward specifics without discretion.
That is if a person is in violation of the law (technically) they must be
arrested. No discretion. In my day, if a person was violating the law in a
technical sense but was not within the scope of the purpose and spirit of the
law, the officer had discretion to deal with the humanity of the issue.

So also in the dog ring. Some dogs are so great that their preferred’s,
desirable’s and to be desired’s should be meaningless. I will never forget a
show in Santa Cruz when a big bi-colored dog came into the ring. I looked back
and could not keep my eyes off of him. The judge paid no attention to me or my
dog. I could have laid in the middle of the ring and flailed my arms and
shouted “He is too big…”  Would not have mattered and should not have. He was
to become GV Boss and deserved it.

Just my thoughts,

Dave

---