[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: UKC GSD Breed Standard May 1, 2012

  • From: "Carolyn Martello" <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <marcatoshepherds@xxxxxxxxx>, <medusasmom1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 11:23:57 -0700

If you consider the importance of it and you feel this is a valid and important
Breed
Standard to adhere to...I do not consider bringing up something so ridiculous
as an
incorrect body part as "making fun"......so much as a Standard of no
importance.   This
List ( by it's very name ) supposedly consists of serious and concerned
Breeder/ Exhibitors
that DO adhere to the importance of a Breed Standard.......the AKC Breed
Standard.
Admittedly I have never read this Breed Standard before....but at a quick
glance I cannot
consider it an important issue that it has also accepted whites as an official
color of the
German Shepherd Dog.
If this UKC GSD Breed Standard supposedly is a Standard telling people exactly
what  a
German Shepherd Dog should be .....and that breeders are expected to adhere to
it....It
would seem they would know the correct anatomy of a GSD........or any dog.
There is no such thing as a rear pastern on any dog  any more than we have a
'leg elbow'.

Also..read carefully how the movement is described also....."the rear leg,
moving forward,
swings under the foreleg"........??   Yet........we all know the driving rear
thrust drives the rear
foot forward....with the foot outside the front foot on one side, and inside
the front foot on the
other side so as not to intefere with the front foots lifting off the ground in
it's follow through
as it leaves it's grounded position ......( it even mentions  that in the next
sentence )
Also........I'm not sure we can describe "cheeks" on a GSD as slightly
rounded.......nor do
you remove the front dew claws on a "natural"  Breed as the GSD is supposed to
be.

Without even addressing the "Revised" date as May 1, 2012....The importance of
ANY
Breed Standard is that it be correct.

Carolyn    marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.Marhaven.com