[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: This is gonna get me in Trouble

  • From: GSD0110@xxxxxxx
  • To: GSDHALLMARK@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 18:47:39 EST

Edie,

The reason there is so much animosity is the fact that people fear what  they
do not know.... They don't want to find out about the other venues for dogs
because they suspect that their dogs can't compete in those other venues....
most of the time they are correct.

In Europe there is much conflict between the "highline" people and the
"working" people... both swear that THEIR dogs are the best and that the others

are just inferior dogs of weak breeding.  The fact is that not many  "highline"
dogs can perform in KNPV and Ring Sport. At the same time... not many
"working" dogs can win at SV shows either (not regarding politics in either
arena).

In this country all the European dogs are classified as "German" and they
are either the savior of the breed or pariah depending on who you are speaking
to.  The fact is that this breed is great BECAUSE of it's diversity.   As I
have said SO MANY times if you have a job for a dog to do there is a GSD  that
can do that job.... and not only can he do the job but more than likely he  can
excel at the work.

I no longer have "import" dogs because I didn't have the time to train my
working dogs AND show my American show dogs.... And I, personally, like MY
American dogs better than I liked the imports I have owned.  I still love
GSD's
from all types and styles and I LOVE that there is diversity in our  breed.  My
dogs will not be top KNPV prospects... they will not be military  dogs... or
police patrol dogs but that's ok because there ARE GSD's that will  be....

Even I get angry though when I read these posts that suggest that we MUST
breed to import dogs to improve our dogs... I like my dogs... I don't want
imports... not because they aren't good but because my personal preference is
for
the dogs I already own.  And I know how to improve them without  breeding to
import dogs.

Gary Lewis